Sunday, June 14, 2009

Here We Go...

First time blogger here... If I could only find a way to synchronize this blog with my brain housing throughout the day as I think about and use technology, I'm sure it would make for a much more interesting read.

As a kid, my goal in life, other than to play college football, was to be a computer programmer. I took programming classes throughout junior high and high school and must say they were my favorite classes. In the Marine Corps I started out as a Signals Intelligence Communicator (Cryptologic Technician, for you Navy types) and my training mainly focused on computer hardware and networking. At age 19, I was a shift supervisor in a communications facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, sending and receiving intelligence messages all over the world. It was an interesting job, to say the least. However, our equipment was from the stone age and I never got to apply much of the high-speed training I had received in school. Fast forward to 2001 when I was a freshman at UMass Dartmouth... It took me one semester to realize computer programming was not for me. I consider myself to be computer savvy, but programmers are on an entirely different level! Let's just say I knew it was not something I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. I switched my major to Accounting and never looked back.

Needless to say, IT interests me and I think I will gain a lot from this class. I am already enjoying the approach to IT from a managerial perspective and learning more about how IT influences business.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment