Sunday, June 21, 2009

Six Sigma

Having just completed the Six Sigma (SS) research and case study, it is easy to see how the SS methodology dissects various processes and creates efficiencies to save organizations millions of dollars. As an executive, I would want to implement SS in every part of my business to add every last penny I could to the bottom line. As an employee, I might not be as receptive to a SS project person picking apart every process. I'd be worried about my performance, as optimal as it may be, being scrutinized as well as whether my co-workers or myself will be out of a job once the SS project is complete. I can see where SS implementation has the risk of hurting employee morale if the employees don't understand the "method behind the madness." Not to mention, change naturally does not come easily when you have employees who have been performing the same process for a long period of time. My understanding of the case is that the company is implementing an initiative to teach the employees SS principles to give them an understanding of the methodology to encourage their ideas and support of the process. This will be the key to the success of the SS initiative at MLF but I'm sure not all companies invest the time and energy to train their lower level employees on SS. Hence, as great as SS sounds, it definitely comes with its share of risks and challenges when implemented.

No comments:

Post a Comment